In this study, we analysed gauging stations in the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers, two rivers with excessive run-off which is used for energy and irrigation. We studied their statistical structure and applied spectral techniques to monthly streamflow in order to represent temporal and spatial variability. We also explored the relationship of some of these series with El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) variability. Given these conditions, climatic coherence studies between pairs of stations in the Paraná network, especially for the most frequent waves (less than 2 years), turned out to be redundant. Furthermore, we observed that series for stations in the Paraná River fit to common theoretical distributions, where normality is absent, making this kind of analysis to be redundant as well. The exploratory analysis for this streamflow network, and its extensive records, suggest that in order to improve hydroclimatological studies, reference stations can be selected for each river. © 2018, © 2018 International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research.
- Alzaid, A., Sultan, K.S., Discriminating between gamma and lognormal distributions with applications (2009) Journal of King Saud University (Science), 21, pp. 99-108
- Barros, V.R., Clark, R., Silva Dias, P., (2006) Climate change in the La Plata Basin, , 1st ed., Bue Aires: CIMA-CONICET-UBA
- Barros, V.R., Doyle, M., Camilloni, I., Precipitation trends in southeastern South America: relationship with ENSO phases and with low-level circulation (2008) Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 93, pp. 19-33
- Barros, V.R., Influence of the South Atlantic convergence zone and South Atlantic sea surface temperature on interannual summer rainfall in southeastern South America (2000) Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 67, pp. 123-133
- Barros, V.R., Climate variability over subtropical South America and the South American monsoon: a review (2002) Meteorológica, 27 (2), pp. 33-57
- Berbery, H., Barros, V.R., The hydrologic cycle of the La Plata basin in South America (2002) Journal of Hydrometeorology, 3, pp. 630-645
- Berbery, H., Collini, E., Springtime precipitation and water vapor flux convergence over southeastern South America (2000) Monthly Weather Review, 128, pp. 1328-1346
- Berri, G., Ghietto, M., García, N., The influence of ENSO in the flows of the Upper Paraná River of South America over the past 100 years (2002) American Meteorological Society, 3, pp. 57-65
- Bloomfield, P., (2000) Fourier analysis of time series, an introduction, , 2nd ed., New York: Wiley-Interscience Publication
- Boulanger, J.P., Observed precipitation in the Paraná-Plata hydrological basin: long-term trends, extreme conditions and ENSO teleconnections (2005) Climate Dynamics, 24, pp. 393-413
- Camilloni, I., Barros, V.R., Extreme discharge events in the Paraná River and their climate forcing (2003) Journal of Hydrology, 278, pp. 94-106
- Camilloni, I., Doyle, M., Barros, V.R., (2004) Interannual variability of the South Atlantic high and rainfall in southeastern South America during summer months, , En: XIII CONGRESSO BRASILEIRO DE METEOROLOGIA. Anais
- Carril, A., Impacts of climate change on the oases of the Argentinean Cordillera (1997) Climate Research, 9, pp. 121-129
- Chatfield, C., (1995) The analysis of time series: an introduction, , 5th ed., Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC
- Cho, H., Bowman, K., North, G., A comparison of gamma and lognormal distributions for characterizing rain rates from the tropical rainfall measuring mission (2004) Journal of Applied Meteorology, 43, pp. 1586-1597
- Collischonn, W., Tucci, C.E.M., Clarke, R.T., Further evidence of changes in the hydrological regime of the river Paraguay: part of a wider phenomenon of climate change? (2001) Journal of Hydrology, 245, pp. 218-238
- Compagnucci, R.H., Vargas, W.M., Inter-annual variability of the Cuyo rivers streamflow in the Argentinean Andean mountains and ENSO events (1998) International Journal of Climatology, 18, pp. 1593-1609
- Efron, B., Tibshirani, R.J., (1993) An introduction to Boostrap, , London: Springer-Science+Business Media, B.V
- Fiorillo, F., Doglioni, A., The relation between karst spring discharge and rainfall by cross-correlation analysis (Campania, southern Italy) (2010) Hydrogeology Journal, 18, pp. 1881-1895
- Foufoula Georgiou, E., Kumar, P., (1994) Wavelets in geophysics, , San Diego, CA: Academic
- García, N., Vargas, W., The spatial variability of runoff and precipitation in the Río de la Plata basin (1995) Hydrological Sciences Journal, 41, p. 1996
- García, N., Vargas, W., The temporal climatic variability in the “Rio de la Plata” basin displayed by the rivers discharges (1998) Climatic Change, 38, pp. 359-379
- Ghill, M., Advanced spectral methods for climatic time series (2002) Reviews of Geophysics, 40 (1), p. 243
- Grinsted, A., Moore, J., Jevrejeva, S., Application of the cross wavelet transform and wavelet coherence to geophysical time series (2004) Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 11, pp. 561-566
- Goodman, N., (1957) Eng. Statist, , Once the stationary Gaussian process., Paper N°10, Lab. College of Engineering, New York University
- Grimm, A., Barros, V.R., Doyle, M., Climate variability in Southern South America associated with El Niño and La Niña events (2000) Journal of Climate, 13, pp. 35-58
- Jaime, P., Menéndez, A., (2002) Análisis del Régimen Hidrológico de los ríos Paraná y Uruguay. Informe INA-LHA 05-216-02, , Comitente: Proyecto Freplata
- Jogesh Babu, G., Rao, C.R., Goodness-of-fit tests when parameters are estimated (2004) The Indian Journal of Statistics, 66 (1), pp. 63-74
- Krepper, C., García, N.O., Jones, P.D., Interannual variability in the Uruguay river basin (2003) International Journal of Climatology, 23, pp. 103-115
- Labat, D., Ronchailb, J., Guyot, J.L., Recent advances in wavelet analyses: part 2–Amazon, Parana, Orinoco and Congo discharges time scale variability (2005) Journal of Hydrology, 314, pp. 289-311
- Maraun, D., Kurths, J., Cross wavelet analysis: significance testing and pitfalls (2004) Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 11, pp. 505-514
- Nesbitt, S., Cifelli, R., Rutledge, S., Storm morphology and rainfall characteristics of TRMM precipitation features (2006) Monthly Weather Review, 134, pp. 2702-2721
- Oki, T., Kanae, S., Global hydrological cycles and world water resources (2006) Freshwater Resources, 313, pp. 1068-1072
- (1966) Climatic Change, , Nota técnica N° 79 OMM
- Panofsky, H.A., Brier, G.W., (1965) Some applications of statistics to meteorology, , Pennsylvania, PA: The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 1–203
- Pasquini, A., Depetris, P., Discharge trends and flow dynamics of South American rivers draining the southern Atlantic seaboard: an overview (2007) Journal of Hydrology, 333, pp. 385-399
- Pinter, N., Trends in flood stages: contrasting results from the Mississippi and Rhine River systems (2006) Journal of Hydrology, 331, pp. 554-566
- Popescu, I., Brandimarte, L., Peviani, M., Effects of climate change over energy production in La Plata Basin (2014) International Journal of River Basin Management, 12, pp. 319-327
- Popescu, I., Assessing residual hydropower potential of the La Plata Basin accounting for future user demands (2012) Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, pp. 2813-2823
- Prohaska, H.E., (1976) World Survey of Climatology, , Climates of Central and South America. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam. 12, 57–69
- Robertson, A.W., Mechoso, C.R., Interannual and decadal cycles in river flows of southeastern South America (1998) Journal of Climate, 11, pp. 2570-2581
- Sang, Y., A review on the applications of wavelet transform in hydrology time series analysis (2013) Atmospheric Research, 122, pp. 8-15
- Saurral, R., Barros, V.R., Lettenmaier, D.P., Land use impact on the Uruguay River discharge (2008) Geophysical Research Letters, 35, pp. 1-6
- Schaefli, B., Maraun, D., Holschneider, M., What drives high flow events in the Swiss Alps? Recent developments in wavelet spectral analysis and their application to hydrology (2007) Advances in Water Resources, 30, pp. 2511-2525
- Siegel, S., (1985) Nonparametric statistical: for the behavioral sciences, , 1st ed., Tokyo: McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Sun, F., Yu, J.Y., A 10–15 year modulation cycle of ENSO intensity (2009) Journal of Climate, 22, pp. 1718-1735
- Torrence, C., Compo, G., A practical guide to wavelet analysis (1998) Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 79, pp. 61-78
- Tucci, C., Some scientific challenges in the development of South America’s water resources (2001) Hydrological Sciences Journal, 46, pp. 937-946
- Vargas, W.M., Runoff properties of extreme discharges on Paraná and Uruguay rivers (2010) Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 7, pp. 2949-2973
- Yiou, P., Baert, E., Loutre, M., Spectral analysis of climate date (1996) Surveys in Geophysics, 17 (6), pp. 619-663
---------- APA ----------Meis, M. & Llano, M.P.
. Hydrostatistical study of the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers. International Journal of River Basin Management, 17(1), 1-12.
---------- CHICAGO ----------Meis, M., Llano, M.P.
"Hydrostatistical study of the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers"
. International Journal of River Basin Management 17, no. 1
(2019) : 1-12.
---------- MLA ----------Meis, M., Llano, M.P.
"Hydrostatistical study of the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers"
. International Journal of River Basin Management, vol. 17, no. 1, 2019, pp. 1-12.
---------- VANCOUVER ----------Meis, M., Llano, M.P. Hydrostatistical study of the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers. Int. J. River Basin Manage. 2019;17(1):1-12.