The increasing frequency of extreme events in large rivers may affect not only their flow, but also their water quality. In the present study, spatial and temporal changes in fluvial physico-chemical variables were analyzed in a mega-river delta during two extreme hydrological years (La Niña-El Niño) and related to potential explanatory factors. Basic water variables were evaluated in situ at 13 points (distant 2–35 km from each other) in watercourses of the Delta Biosphere Reserve (890 km2) in the Lower Paraná River (Argentina) in nine surveys (October 2008–July 2010) without meteorological tides. Samples for laboratory analyses were collected from each main river. Multivariate tests by permutations were applied. The period studied was influenced by a drought, within a long period dominated by low flows combined with dry weather and wildfires, and a large (10 years of recurrence) and prolonged (7 months) flood. The hydrological phase, followed by the season and the hydrological year (according to the ENSO event) were the principal explanatory factors of the main water quality changes, whereas the drainage sub-basin and the fluvial environment (river or stream) were secondary explanatory factors. During the drought period, conductivity, turbidity, and associated variables (e.g., major ions, silicon, and iron concentrations) were maximal, whereas real color was minimal. In the overbanking flood phase, pH and dissolved oxygen concentration were minimal, whereas real color was maximal. Dissolved oxygen saturation was also low in the receding flood phase and total major ion load doubled after the arrival of the overbanking stage. The water quality of these watercourses may be affected by the combination of several influences, such as the Paraná River flow, the pulses with sediments and solutes from the Bermejo River, the export of the Delta floodplain properties mainly by the flood, the season, and the saline tributaries to the Lower Paraná River. The high influence of the hydrology of this large river on the Delta fluvial water quality emphasizes the relevance of changes in its flow regime in recent decades, such as the seasonality attenuation. Considering that the effects of extreme events differ among and within fluvial systems, specific ecohydrological evaluations and powerful appropriate statistics are key tools to gain knowledge on these systems and to provide bases for suitable management measures in a scenario of climate change and increasing human alterations and demands. © 2015, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
|Título:||Relevance of the Paraná River hydrology on the fluvial water quality of the Delta Biosphere Reserve|
|Autor:||Puig, A.; Olguín Salinas, H.F.; Borús, J.A.|
|Filiación:||División Limnología, Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales, A. Gallardo 470, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, C1405DJR, Argentina|
EGE / IEGEBA-CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sistema de Alerta Hidrológico de la Cuenca del Plata, Instituto Nacional del Agua, Ezeiza, Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Palabras clave:||Canonical analyses; Ecohydrology; ENSO; Extreme events; Fluvial system; La Plata basin; Physico-chemical assessment; South America; canonical analysis; climate change; delta; dissolved oxygen; drainage basin; ecohydrology; El Nino; El Nino-Southern Oscillation; extreme event; floodplain; low flow; physicochemical property; seasonality; tributary; water quality; Argentina; Bermejo Basin; Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve; La Plata Basin; Parana River; Argentina; chemistry; hydrology; multivariate analysis; river; water quality; Argentina; Hydrology; Multivariate Analysis; Rivers; Water Quality|
|Página de inicio:||11430|
|Página de fin:||11447|
|Título revista:||Environmental Science and Pollution Research|
|Título revista abreviado:||Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res.|
- Amsler, L., Drago, E.C., A review of the suspended sediment budget at the confluence of the Paraná and Paraguay Rivers (2009) Hydrol Process, 23, pp. 3230-3235
- Anderson, M.J., Distance-based tests for homogeneity of multivariate dispersions (2006) Biometrics, 62, pp. 245-253
- APHA, AWWA, WEF, (2005) Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, , American Public Health Association, Washington DC
- Baigún, C.R., Puig, A., Minotti, P.G., Kandus, P., Quintana, R., Vicari, R., Bo, R., Nestler, J.A., Resource use in the Paraná River Delta (Argentina): moving away from an ecohydrological approach? (2008) Ecohydrol Hydrobiol, 8, pp. 245-262
- Bonetto, C., Villar, C., de Cabo, L., Vaithiyanathan, P., Hydrochemistry of a large floodplain river (1998) Verh Internat Verein Limnol, 26, pp. 899-902. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DyaK1cXjslejtLo%3D
- Borcard, D., Legendre, P., Drapeau, P., Partialling out the spatial component of ecological variation (1992) Ecology, 73, pp. 1045-1055
- Borcard, D., Gillet, F., Legendre, P., Numerical ecology with R (2011) Business Media, , Springer Science &
- Borro, M.M., Morandeira, N.S., Salvia, M.M., Minotti, P.G., Puig, A., Karszenbaum, H., Kandus, P., Shallow lakes of the Paraná River Delta floodplain: multitemporal classification and integration with limnological data (2010) Towards the integrated management of water resources in plain areas, pp. 639-646. , Varni M, Entraigas I, Vives L, (eds), Martin Editorial, Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires: in Spanish
- Cai, W.J., Borlace, S., Lengaigne, M., van Rensch, P., Collins, M., Vecchi, G., Timmermann, A., Jin, F.F., Increasing frequency of extreme El Nino events due to greenhouse warming (2014) Nat Clim Change, 4, pp. 111-116. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC2cXhvVGnsLvJ
- Campodonico, V.A., García, M.G., Pasquini, A.I., The dissolved chemical and isotopic signature downflow the confluence of two large rivers: the case of the Parana and Paraguay rivers (2015) J Hydrol, 528, pp. 161-176. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC2MXhtFSqsbnM
- de Cabo, L., Puig, A., Arreghini, S., Olguín, H.F., Seoane, R., Obertello, I., Physicochemical variables and plankton from the Lower Delta of the Paraná River in relation to flow (2003) Hydrol Process, 17, pp. 1279-1290
- Depetris, P.J., The Paraná River under extreme flooding: a hydrological and hydro-geochemical insight (2007) Interciencia, 32, pp. 656-662
- Depetris, P.J., Pasquini, A.I., The geochemistry of the Paraná River: an overview (2007) The Middle Paraná River: limnology of a subtropical wetland, pp. 143-174. , Iriondo MH, Paggi JC, Parma MJ, (eds), Springer, Heidelberg
- Devercelli, M., Changes in phytoplankton morpho-functional groups induced by extreme hydroclimatic events in the Middle Paraná River (Argentina) (2010) Hydrobiologia, 639, pp. 5-19. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC3cXlslehtA%3D%3D
- Gibbs, R.J., Water chemistry of the Amazon River (1972) Geochim Cosmochim Ac, 36, pp. 1061-1066. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DyaE38XlsFKitb8%3D
- Habersack, H., Haspel, D., Schober, B., Flood prevention and mitigation at large rivers (2014) Nat Hazards, 75, pp. 1-3
- Hamilton, S.K., Sippel, S.J., Melack, J.M., Inundation patterns in the Pantanal Wetland of South America determined from passive microwave remote sensing (1996) Arch Hydrobiol, 137, pp. 1-23
- Method for Water and Wastewater (1998) Geneva
- Junk, W.J., Wantzen, K.M., Welcomme, R.L., Petr, T., The flood pulse concept: new aspects, approaches, and applications. An update (2004) II International Symposium on the Management of Large Rivers for Fisheries, v.2, FAO and Mekong River Commission/FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific. RAP Publication, Bangkok, 16, pp. 117-149
- Junk, W.J., Bayley, P.B., Sparks, R.E., Dodge, D.P., The flood pulse concept in river continuum systems (1989), 106, pp. 89-109. , Proceedings of the International Large Rivers Symposium, Can Spec Publ Fish Aquat Sci; Kandus, P., Quintana, R.D., Bó, R.F., (2006) Landscape patterns and biodiversity in the lower Delta of the Paraná River. Environmental maps, , Pablo Casamajor Editorial, Buenos Aires
- Khan, S.J., Deere, D., Leusch, F.D., Humpage, A., Jenkins, M., Cunliffe, D., Extreme weather events: should drinking water quality management systems adapt to changing risk profiles? (2015) Water Res, 85, pp. 124-136. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC2MXhsVaju7vE
- Latrubesse, E.M., Patterns of anabranching channels: the ultimate end-member adjustment of mega rivers (2008) Geomorphology, 101, pp. 130-145
- Maine, M.A., Suñe, N.L., Bonetto, C., Nutrient concentrations in the Middle Parana River: effect of the floodplain lakes (2004) Arch Hydrobiol, 160, pp. 85-103. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXltlKiur8%3D
- Maucha, R., Hydrochemische Metoden in der Limnologie (1932) Binnengewässer, 12, p. 173
- Mayora, G., Devercelli, M., Giri, F., Spatial variability of chlorophyll-a and abiotic variables in a river–floodplain system during different hydrological phases (2013) Hydrobiologia, 717, pp. 51-63. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC3sXhsVSht7jE
- Meybeck, M., Global occurrence of major elements in rivers (2003) Treatise on Geochem, 5, pp. 207-223
- Mosley, L.M., Drought impacts on the water quality of freshwater systems; review and integration (2015) Earth-Sci Rev, 140, pp. 203-214. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BC2cXitVersbvE
- Neiff, J.J., Ideas for the ecological interpretation of the Paraná River (1990) Interciencia, 15, pp. 424-441. , (in Spanish)
- Nilsson, C., Malm-Renöfält, B., Linking flow regime and water quality in rivers: a challenge to adaptive catchment management (2008) Ecol Soc, 13 ([online]). , www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol13/iss2/art18
- O’Farrell, I., Vinocur, A., Lombardo, R.J., Cross-channel and vertical variation in diversity and abundance of phytoplankton in the Lower Paraná River, Argentina (1998) Large Rivers, 11, pp. 103-123
- (2015) Oksanen J Design decisions and implementation details in vegan, , https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/vegan/vignettes/decision-vegan.pdf
- Oksanen, J., Kindt, R., Legendre, P., O’Hara, B., Simpson, L.G., Stevens, M.H.H., Vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 1.15-0 (2008) R Project for Statistical Computing, , http://vegan.r-forge.r-project.org, Vienna, Austria
- Palijan, G., Towards deconfounding hydrological and seasonal temperature variability in the determination of selected limnological variables of a temperate floodplain ecosystem (2015) Ecohydrology, 8, pp. 325-339
- Pasquini, A.I., Depetris, P.J., Discharge trends and flow dynamics of South American rivers draining the southern Atlantic seaboard: an overview (2007) J Hydrol, 333, pp. 385-399
- Peres-Neto, P.R., Legendre, P., Dray, S., Borcard, D., Variation partitioning of species data matrices: estimation and comparison of fractions (2006) Ecology, 87, pp. 2614-2625
- Poff, N.L., Allan, J.D., Bain, M.B., Karr, J.R., Prestegaard, K.L., Richter, B.D., Sparks, R.E., Stromberg, J.C., The natural flow regime (1997) Bioscience, 47, pp. 769-784
- Puig, A., Olguín, H., Water, ecosystems and sustainability: from the global challenge to the Parana Delta and its Biosphere Reserve (2011) Governance and sustainable management of water, pp. 535-538. , Capaldo G, (ed), Environmental Synergy Series. MNEMOSYNE, Buenos Aires
- Puig, A., Borús, J., Olguín Salinas, H.F., The water of the Lower Delta islands within the regional framework (2011) The natural and cultural patrimony of the Lower Delta islands of the Paraná River. Bases for its conservation and sustainable use. International Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Irán, 1971), Wetlands for the Future Program, pp. 55-65. , Quintana RD, Villar MV, Astrada E, Saccone P, Malzof SM, (eds), Aprendelta, Buenos Aires: in Spanish
- Development Core Team, R., R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria (2008) ISBN 3-900051-07-0, , http://www.R-project.org
- Rolls, R., Marsh, N., Sheldon, F., (2012) Review of literature quantifying ecological responses to low flows. Low flow report series, June 2012. Australian Government, , National Water Commission, Canberra
- Salvia, M., Ceballos, D., Grings, F., Karszenbaum, H., Kandus, P., Post-fire effects in wetland environment: landscape assessment of plant coverage and soil recovery in the Paraná River Delta marshes, Argentina (2012) Fire Ecol, 8, pp. 17-37
- Schemel, L.E., Sommer, T.R., Müller-Solger, A.B., Harrell, W.C., Hydrologic variability, water chemistry, and phytoplankton biomass in a large floodplain of the Sacramento River, CA, USA (2004) Hydrobiologia, 513, pp. 129-139. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXisVKrsbs%3D
- Silberbauer, M.J., King, J.M., Geographical trends in the water chemistry of wetlands in the south-western Cape Province, South Africa (1991) S Afr J Aquat Sci, 17, pp. 82-88. , COI: 1:CAS:528:DyaK38XlsFOitbw%3D
- Characterizing the relationship between water quality and water quantity. Final report to the Department of Sustainability, Environment (2013) Water, , Population and Communities, Australian Government
- Thomaz, S.M., Bini, L.M., Bozelli, R.L., Floods increase similarity among aquatic habitats in river-floodplain systems (2007) Hydrobiologia, 579, pp. 1-13
- Tockner, K., Malard, F., Ward, J.V., An extension of the flood pulse concept (2000) Hydrol Process, 14, pp. 2861-2883
- Torres, R.R., Marengo, J.A., Uncertainty assessments of climate change projections over South America (2013) Theor Appl Climatol, 112, pp. 253-272
- Valverde, M.C., Marengo, J.A., Extreme rainfall indices in the hydrographic basins of Brazil (2014) Open J Modern Hydrol, 4, pp. 10-26
- Villar, C., Bonetto, C., Physical and chemical characterization of the Lower Paraná River. Effect of the Atucha Power Plant (1998) Aquatec, 5, pp. 1-13
- Villar, C.A., de Cabo, L., Vaithiyanathan, P., Bonetto, C., Litter decomposition of emergent macrophytes in a floodplain marsh of the Lower Paraná River (2001) Aquat Bot, 70, pp. 105-116
- Zurbrügg, R., Wamulume, J., Kamanga, R., Wehrli, B., Senn, D.B., River-floodplain exchange and its effects on the fluvial oxygen regime in a large tropical river system (Kafue Flats, Zambia) (2012) J Geophys Res, 117, p. G03008
---------- APA ----------Puig, A., Olguín Salinas, H.F. & Borús, J.A.
. Relevance of the Paraná River hydrology on the fluvial water quality of the Delta Biosphere Reserve. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(12), 11430-11447.
---------- CHICAGO ----------Puig, A., Olguín Salinas, H.F., Borús, J.A.
"Relevance of the Paraná River hydrology on the fluvial water quality of the Delta Biosphere Reserve"
. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 23, no. 12
(2016) : 11430-11447.
---------- MLA ----------Puig, A., Olguín Salinas, H.F., Borús, J.A.
"Relevance of the Paraná River hydrology on the fluvial water quality of the Delta Biosphere Reserve"
. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 23, no. 12, 2016, pp. 11430-11447.
---------- VANCOUVER ----------Puig, A., Olguín Salinas, H.F., Borús, J.A. Relevance of the Paraná River hydrology on the fluvial water quality of the Delta Biosphere Reserve. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2016;23(12):11430-11447.