1. 1. Effects of various factors on chlorophyll, porphyrin and protein content, growth and on the activities of the enzymes involved in the earlier stages of tetrapyrrole synthesis, in cultured soybean cells, were studied. 2. 2. When dark-grown callus was exposed to light, it was found that the amount of porphyrins formed was not altered, but chlorophyll content as well as Succinyl CoA Synthetase (Suc.CoA-S), Aminolevulic Acid Synthetase (ALA-S), Aminolevulic Acid Dehydratase (ALA-D) and Porphobilinogenase (PBGase) activities increased. 3. 3. Addition of Aminolevulic Acid (ALA) to the medium culture, was found to stimulate porphyrin accumulation and to prevent growth; however chlorophyll content was not significantly modified. ALA-S was inhibited while both ALA-D and PBGase activities were enhanced. The action of puromycin and mitomycin added along with ALA to the media, was also studied, but neither of these inhibitors modified much the effects produced by ALA. 4. 4. Addition of Porphobilinogen (PBG), showed accumulation of uroporphyrin in the tissue; except inhibition of ALA-S, enzymes activities, protein and chlorophyll content were not modified. Evidence obtained would indicate that callus tissue was not permeable to PBG. 5. 5. Omission of iron from the culture medium, produced porphyrin accumulation and prevented growth. It has been consistently found that, the higher the content of porphyrins, the less the callus growth. Coproporphyrin was the major component of the porphyrins formed in ALA supplemented or iron deficient media. ALA-S and ALA-D were reduced under iron deficiency. 6. 6. The addition of ATP to the media, did not affect porphyrin, protein, and chlorophyll synthesis, growth or ALA-D, but Suc.CoA-S, ALA-S and PBGase activities diminished. 7. 7. Gibberelic acid produced a measurable increase of PBGase, while diminished Suc.CoA-S and ALA-S. 8. 8. Succinate increased growth and inhibited ALA-S and ALA-D. 9. 9. Carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophenyl hydrazine (CCCP), added to the medium produced accumulation of porphyrins, consequently, ALA-S was greatly inhibited and growth prevented. PBGase was also diminished. 10. 10. Coproporphyrinogenase and Decarboxylases activities were hardly detected in most experiments, and are limiting. 11. 11. The complex pattern of results obtained is discussed. © 1975.
- Arnon, Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris (1949) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 24, pp. 1-15
- Batlle A.M. Del, Benson, Study of the separation of uroporphyrin octametyl esters I and III by thin layer and paper chromatography (1966) Journal of Chromatography A, 25, pp. 117-123
- Batlle A.M. Del, Grinstein, Porphyrin biosynthesis I—Studies on erythrocyte preparations (1964) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects, 82, pp. 1-12
- Batlle A.M. Del, Benson, Rimington, Purification and properties of Coproporphyrinogenase (1965) Biochem. J., 97, pp. 731-740
- Bogorad, (1965) Chemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Pigments, p. 3. , T. Goodwin, Academic Press, New York
- Bogorad, (1966) The Chlorophylls, p. 481. , L.P. Vernon, G.R. Seely, Academic Press, New York
- Bogorad, Jacobson, Inhibition of greening of etiolated leaves by Actinomycin D (1964) Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun., 14, pp. 113-117
- Brian, Grove, L'acide gibbérelique (1957) Endeavour, 16, pp. 161-171
- Cornford, Benson, A qualitative and quantitative study of the separation of uroporphyrin octamethyl esters I and III by dioxan chromatography (1963) J. Chromatogr., 10, pp. 141-157
- Ebbon, Tait, Studies on S-Adenosylmethionine-Magnesium Protoporphyrin Methyltransferase on Euglena gracilis Strain (1969) Z. Biochem. J., 111, pp. 573-582
- Eriksen, Paper Chromatography separation of the coproporphyrin isomers I and III (1958) Scand. J. clin. Lab. Invest., 10, pp. 319-322
- Falk, (1964) Porphyrins and Metalloporphyrins, 2, p. 169. , Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Gajdos, Gajdos-Török, Gorchein, Neuberger, Tait, The effects of adenosine triphosphate on Porphyrin excretion and on glycine metabolism in Rh. spheroides (1967) Biochem. J., 106, pp. 185-192
- Gassman, Bogorad, Control of chlorophyll production in rapidly greening bean leaves (1967) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 42, pp. 774-780
- Gassman, Bogorad, Studies on the regeneration of protochlorophyllide after brief illumination of etiolated bean leaves (1967) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 42, pp. 781-784
- Gassman, Pluscec, Bogorad, Delta Aminolevulinic acid transaminase in Chlorella Vulgaris (1968) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 43, pp. 1411-1414
- Granick, Magnesium protoporphyrin monoester and protoporphyrin monomethyl ester in chlorophyll biosynthesis (1961) J. biol. Chem., 236, pp. 1168-1172
- Granick, (1963) Cytodifferencial and Macromolecular Synthesis, p. 144. , M. Locke, Academic Press, New York
- Granick, (1967) Biochemistry of Chloroplasts, 2, p. 373. , T.W. Goodwin, Academic Press, New York
- Heytler, Uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation by carbonyl cyanide phenylhydrazones. I—Some characteristics of m-Cl-CCP action on mitochondria and chloroplasts (1963) Biochemistry, 2, pp. 357-361
- Heytler, Prichard, A new class of uncoupling agents. Carbonyl cyanide phenyl-hydrazones (1962) Biochim. biophys. Res. Commun., 7, pp. 272-275
- Jensen, Separation of the coproporphyrin isomers I and III by thin layer chromatography (1963) J. Chromatogr., 10, pp. 236-238
- Jones, (1968) Porphyrins and Related Compounds, p. 131. , T.W. Goodwin, Academic Press, New York
- Kimimura, Katoh, Ikegami, Takamiya, Inhibitor site of carbonyl m-chlorophenyl hydrazone in the electron transfer system of the chloroplasts (1971) Biochim. biophys. Acta, 234, pp. 92-102
- Komai, Neilands, Effect of zinc ions on delta amino levulinate Dehydratase in Ustilago sphaerogena (1968) Archs Biochem. biophys., 124, pp. 456-461
- Kirk, Allen, Dependence of chloroplast pigment synthesis on protein synthesis. Effect of actidione (1965) Biochim. biophys. Res. Commun., 21, pp. 523-530
- Kirk, Chloroplast structure and biogenesis (1971) Ann. Rev. Biochem., 40, pp. 161-196
- Lascelles, The synthesis of porphyrins and bacteriochlorophyll by cell suspensions of Rhodopseudomonas spheroides (1956) Biochem. J., 62, pp. 78-93
- Lascelles, Adaptation to form Bacteriochlorophyll in Rh. spheroides. Changes in activity of enzymes concerned in pyrrole synthesis (1959) Biochem. J., 72, pp. 508-518
- Lascelles, (1964) Tetrapyrrole Biosynthesis and its Regulation, p. 84. , Benjamin, New York
- Lascelles, The accumulation of Bacteriochlorophyll precursors by mutant and wild type strains of Rhodopseudomonas spheroides (1966) Biochem. J., 100, pp. 175-183
- Lascelles, (1968) Advances in Microbial Physiology, 2, p. 1. , A.H. Rose, J.P. Wilkinson, Academic Press, New York
- Lockwood, Rimington, Purification of an enzyme converting Porphobilinogen to uroporphyrin (1957) Biochem. J., 67, p. 8
- Lowry, Rosebrough, Farr, Randall, Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent (1951) J. biol. Chem., 193, pp. 265-275
- Llambias, Batlle A.M. Del, Uroporphyrinogen III cosynthetase. Evidence for the existence of a polypyrrolic substrate in soybean callus tissue (1970) FEBS Lett., 6, pp. 285-288
- Llambias, Batlle A.M. Del, Negative homotropic kinetics of soybean callus Porphobilinogen deaminase-uroporphyrinogen III cosynthetase (1970) FEBS Lett., 9, pp. 180-182
- Llambias, Batlle A.M. del, Porphyrin biosynthesis in soybean callus V—The Porphobilinogen deaminase-uroporphyrinogen III cosynthetase Kinetic studies (1970) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Enzymology, 220, pp. 552-559
- Llambias, Batlle A.M. del, Studies on porphobilinogen deaminase-uroporphyrinogen III cosynthetase system of cultured soya bean cells (1971) Biochem J, 121, pp. 327-340
- Margulies, Effect of chloramphenicol on formation of chloroplast structure and protein during greening of etiolated leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris (1966) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 41, pp. 992-1003
- Marks, (1969) Heme and Chlorophyll, p. 121. , Van Nostrand, London
- Miller, (1963) Modern Methods of Plant Analysis, 6, p. 196. , Springer Verlag, Berlin
- Millet, Tavant, Perney, Mange, Pigments chlorophylliens et gibberelline (1962) Ann. Sci. de l'Univ, de Besancon, 18, pp. 109-114
- Nadler, Granick, Control on Chlorophyll synthesis in barley (1970) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 46, pp. 240-246
- Nandi, Waygood, Biosynthesis of porphyrins in wheat, leaves: delta aminolevulinate hydro-lyase (1967) Can. J. Biochem., 45, pp. 327-336
- Ramaswamy, Maadhusudanan Nair, Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase from cold stored potatoes (1973) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Enzymology, 293, pp. 269-277
- Rawlinson, Hale, Prosthetic groups of the cytochromes present in Corynebacterium diphteriae with special reference to cytochrome a (1949) Biochemistry, 45, pp. 247-255
- Rebeiz, Castelfranco, Protochlorophyll and chlorophyll biosynthesis in cell-free systems from higher plants (1973) Annual Review of Plant Physiology, 24, pp. 129-172
- Rimington, Spectral absorption coefficients of some porphyrins in the Soret band region (1960) Biochem J, 75, pp. 620-623
- Sancovich, Ferramola, Batlle A.M. del, grinstein, (1970) Methods in Enzymology, 17, p. 220. , H. Tabor, C.W. Tabor, Academic Press, New York
- Schneider, Light mediated increase in activity of porphobilinogen deaminase uroporphyrinogen III Cosynthetase and Delta aminolevulinate dehydratase in tissue cultures of tobacco (1971) Phytochemistry, 10, pp. 319-321
- Shemin, Kikuchi, Abramsky, (1960) 2e. Colloque Intern. Biol. Saclay, p. 173. , Service de Biologie du Commisariat á l'Energie Atomique, Saclay
- Steer, Gibbs, Changes in succinyl CoA synthetase activity in etiolated bean leaves caused by illumination (1969) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 44, pp. 775-780
- Steer, Gibbs, Delta-Aminolevulinic Acid Dehydrase in greening bean leaves (1969) PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 44, pp. 781-783
- Stein, Tschudy, Corcoran, Collins, Delta aminolevulinic acid synthetase—III. Synergistic effect of chelated iron on induction (1970) J. biol. Chem., 245, pp. 2213-2218
- Stella, Parera, Llambias, Batlle A.M. Del, Pyrryl-methane intermediates in the synthesis of uroporphyrinogen III by soybean callus porphobilinogenase (1971) Biochim. biophys. Acta, 252, pp. 481-488
- Stobart, Mclaren, Thomas, Chlorophylls and carotenoids of colourless callus, green callus and leaves of Kalanchöe crenata (1967) Phytochemistry, 6, pp. 1467-1474
- Stobart, Pinfield, Light-induced changes in Succinyl CoA synthetase in barley seedlings (1970) New Phytologist, 69, pp. 31-35
- Stobart, Thomas, Delta Aminolevulinic Acid Dehydratase in tissue cultures of Kalanchöe crenata (1968) Phytochemistry, 7, pp. 1313-1316
- Street, (1966) Cells and Tissues in Culture, 3, p. 533. , E.W. Wilmer, Academic Press, New York
- Szalai, Relation between the chlorophyll content and paleness of gibberellic acid-treated leaves (1969) Physiologia Plantarum, 22, pp. 587-593
- Tigier, Batlle A.M. Del, Locascio, Porphyrin biosynthesis in soybean callus tissue system. Isolation, purification and general properties of delta amino laevulinate dehydratase (1968) Biochem. biophys. Acta, 151, pp. 300-302
- Tigier, Batlle A.M. Del, Locascio, Porphyrin biosynthesis in soybean callus tissue III. Improved purification and some properties of delta amino laevulinate dehydratase (1970) Enzymology, 38, pp. 43-56
- Wider de Xifra, Batlle A.M. Del, Mechanism of action of succinyl CoA synthetase. The role of CoA (1973) Enzyme, 16, pp. 128-137
- Wider De Xifra, Batlle A.M. Del, Thiol groups of soybean callus succinyl CoA synthetase (1974) Int. J. Biochem., 5, pp. 129-135
- Wider De Xifra, Batlle A.M. Del, Tigier, Delta aminolaevulinate synthetase in extracts of cultured soybean cells (1971) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Enzymology, 235, pp. 511-517
- Wider De Xlfra, Mendiara, Batlle A.M. del, Studies on the reaction mechanism of soybean callus succinyl CoA synthetase. Phosphorylation of the enzyme on inmobilized adenosine-triphosphate and enzyme attached to a solid support (1972) FEBS Lett., 27, pp. 275-278
- Wider De Xifra, Tigier, Properties and regulatory effect on tetrapyrrole biosynthesis of succinyl CoA synthetase isolated from soybean callus tissue system (1970) FEBS Lett., 9, pp. 30-32
- Wider De Xifra, Tigier, Porphyrin biosynthesis in soybean callus tissue system. VIII—Isolation, purification and general properties of succinyl CoA synthetase (1971) Enzymology, 41, pp. 217-231
---------- APA ----------Del C. Batlle, A.M., Llambias, E.B.C., de Xlfra, E.W. & Tigier, H.A.
. Porphyrin biosynthesis in the soybean callus tissue system-XV. The effect of growth conditions. International Journal of Biochemistry, 6(8), 591-606.
---------- CHICAGO ----------Del C. Batlle, A.M., Llambias, E.B.C., de Xlfra, E.W., Tigier, H.A.
"Porphyrin biosynthesis in the soybean callus tissue system-XV. The effect of growth conditions"
. International Journal of Biochemistry 6, no. 8
(1975) : 591-606.
---------- MLA ----------Del C. Batlle, A.M., Llambias, E.B.C., de Xlfra, E.W., Tigier, H.A.
"Porphyrin biosynthesis in the soybean callus tissue system-XV. The effect of growth conditions"
. International Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 6, no. 8, 1975, pp. 591-606.
---------- VANCOUVER ----------Del C. Batlle, A.M., Llambias, E.B.C., de Xlfra, E.W., Tigier, H.A. Porphyrin biosynthesis in the soybean callus tissue system-XV. The effect of growth conditions. Int. J. Biochem. 1975;6(8):591-606.